Be sure to catch Erin Rae in her Wednesday, April 17, Concert Series premiere at 8 p.m. CT. She’s a folk-indie act still riding high on her 2018 album Putting on Airs and preparing for a tour with dates set through the fall. Get to know Erin a bit better in our 5 Questions segment.
1) Your 2018 album Putting on Airs was your first with Single Lock Records. What can you tell us about how that connection came about?
I feel very lucky about the whole thing. I was on tour with my now labelmate, The Kernal, and our last show was in Florence, Ala. Everyone from the label happened to be there for the show that night, and then Kernal passed along the unreleased record to John Paul (White, co-owner of Single Lock) for them to hear. They liked it!
2. You’re just launching an extensive U.S. tour with dates booked through the fall. A lot of artists love the touring life; others do it out of necessity. What are your thoughts on the upcoming tour?
I love it all. I learn so much every time, and I’m excited to share the stage with John Paul, who I’ve been a long time fan of.
3) The aforementioned Putting on Airs was released nearly a year ago. What are you working on currently and when might we see another Erin Rae album?
Well we have some fun stuff planned for the summer, and I’m finishing new songs now. Maybe end of this year or beginning of the next! Hard to say really.
4) Like most Single Lock artists, you touch on a handful of genres and don’t fit neatly into just one. How do you think being difficult to categorize ultimately affects your career?
I’m sure there are downsides, but I love the freedom it gives me to exist in different musical worlds, and to collaborate with artists in multiple genres.
5) What was the first record you bought with your own money?
“MMMBop” by Hanson!!